Instant Translator

Monday, November 30, 2009

Job Interviews I have Known

So, it's back to the job hunt for me...here I am, three months later and I am pretty much no where near close to finding a job. On the positive side though, I actually did manage to successfully APPLY for a job in my field, electronically no less! It was such a triumph for me to receive (via e-mail!) the little notice that reads "Thank you for submitting your complete application." Gosh, I feel so... accomplished, so proud, so validated, so...RELIEVED! That I could actually be in the running for this job is such a step forward for me! Now, I am pretty confident that I won't be selected for this job, but I can't help but wonder if I'll make it as far as an interview?
OH NO....AN INTERVIEW? ARGGGHHHH!
Everyone has interview horror stories. One of my most memorable was walking into the interview room, having the interviewer (a man) look up from his desk, stare at me for a moment and say "Holy Crap! You look just like my ex-wife!" Needless to say, I did not get that job.

Then there was the interview for the job that I was a bit overqualified for - boy, tell me that's not a lot of hooey - overqualified? It's like "I'm sorry, you will simply be too good at this job, and therefore you may not have it. We are looking for someone a little less competent than you." On this one, I walked into the interview room and there were two interviewers sitting there, dressed way better than I was and with a combined age of about equal to that of my husbands only suit. They asked me things such as "What skills will you bring to this position?" (hello - did you even READ my resume?) and "Describe your faults" (I'd be perfect if I wasn't so modest). No sense of humor. Didn't get that one, either.

Another horrible interview went something like this: I am sitting across from a grumpy old man who keeps looking at my paperwork in front of him, and up at me, and back at the paperwork and back at me without saying anything. It is like he is trying to reconcile what is written on the paper in front of him with what is actually sitting across from him. Finally, he sighs, a long deep sigh, leans back in his chair and says "You're only here because they said I have to see you. I have never had a woman work for me, and you are probably not going to be the first!" Then, he gets up and walks out. I sat there, stunned. Surprisingly, I did get that job, but boy, were the first six months rough!

1 comment:

kami said...

So funny that you got that last job! But not funny that you're still looking. Well, maybe it is. If you get a job you'll have to stop blogging!