Instant Translator

Sunday, February 12, 2012

What to Wear...

In honor of NY Fashion Week, I am cleaning out my closet so I can make room for whatever new stuff I might buy.  It's not really a big job, because I truly have no clothes, except for gym and running wear, that same one "grown-up" white shirt that's been hanging around for some time now, a bunch of bathing suits (which I hang in my closet because the drawer space is taken up by my shorts and tee shirts) and a shirt I bought while I was obviously under the impression that I have a glamorous and socially active lifestyle and would therefore need an orange chiffon ripple blouse, to compliment my (non-existent) silk charmeuse trousers and my (also non-existent) Christian Louboutin's.  So, as I stared dismally at the tangled mass of bathing suits I realize that, fashion-wise, I am pretty much a hot mess. And, I realize that what I need is a personal shopper.  As in the "What Not to Wear" variety of personal shoppers.  Because I am pretty sure that any personal shopper worth their Channel* bag would have steered me away from the orange ripple blouse.  In fact, I probably wouldn't have even been in the same department as that blouse, or even the same store, for that matter!  I used to have some fashion smarts and a pretty decent sense of style, back before I became a parent.  While some women easily make that transition back from Mother to Style Maven, if they even ever allowed themselves to go over to the "mommy side" category of dress - me...well, not so much.  Some time ago I did throw away all the really grungy tee shirts and only kept the nicer ones.  And, I did ditch the unflattering one-piece bathing suit I wore only twice after my son was born.  But I never quite made it back to my former stylish self.  While I'll not ever make it onto someones best dressed list, on the upside, I do have bikinis in fourteen different colors and how many other Mom's can say that?

*This just reinforces that fashion-wise, I am in trouble.  My misspelling of one of the most famous design houses ever is a cry for help...

No comments: