Instant Translator

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Facebooking

I like Facebook, but I think Facebook has exacerbated my mid-life crisis. In searching for old high school friends, college roommates and former colleagues I have discovered something really disturbing...most of my friends CHILDREN are the ones using Facebook! This just drives home the fact that I am...old. I think a special Facebook application should be developed for mid-lifers, like myself. To be really successful with my age-group, there would need to be a few different features, though. For example, there should be a photo edit function built right in that allows you to 'touch up' your profile pictures, thereby eliminating those pesky visible signs of aging. There should also be a warning device that alerts you when a prospective 'friend' has turned into a rabid right-wing politico, health food advocate or has overachieving children they constantly talk about ('I know she's only 22, but she is receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award in nuclear-rocket science-applied mathematics from NASA ' this week. Next week, she is blah, blah, blah'). There also needs to be a rule about overuse; for example, 20 posts in an hour is a lot...especially when they are obscure and random comments about...nothing. Facebook needs to suggest to these users an alternative outlet to express themselves...poetry, perhaps? Or, maybe just their own blog!

No comments: