Instant Translator

Thursday, March 11, 2010

What's in a Name?

So, it has been suggested to me that my job search might actually be handicapped not by my experience or age, but my NAME! Now, I think this is grasping at straws, but here goes. For those of us old enough to remember the cartoon the Wacky Races, the character Penelope Pitstop surely comes to mind. In Wacky Races, the character drives the Compact Pussycat, a pink race car equipped with extensive personal grooming facilities. Penelope wears a bright pink racing uniform with white gloves, maroon tights, and white go-go boots. She is called the Glamour Gal of the Gas Pedal. According to the series' creator, the Penelope character was an afterthought in the development of Wacky Races, so she and her car were designed in about two hours. Penelope is a stereotypical "damsel in distress" stock character. Her catchphrase is "Help, help!" (spoken in an affected upper-class southern accent, and pronounced "HAY-ULP!"). She displays a curious combination of ingenuity and helplessness. When in trouble, she often is unlikely to do anything to save herself, other than yelling for help...

Is THIS is my namesake? Is this what prospective employers think of before they even meet me? If this is even partly true, it is no wonder I am scaring them off. So, I maybe need a different name; something no-nonsense and tough sounding. Suggestions, anyone?

No comments: