Instant Translator

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Washing Up

So, if you use a knife to remove the foil seal on, let's say, an unopened bottle of aspirin, does that constitute actual use whereby you now are required to WASH the knife before you put it back into the draw? I say definitely NO. Now, let's say you use that same knife to try and slice some bread that happens to be frozen solid. To me, using a knife to slice FROZEN bread does not make the knife un-clean. A simple wipe with a paper towel to remove the condensation and the few crumbs allows me to, with a clear conscience, replace the knife in its CLEANED condition back into the draw. Whereas slicing UNFROZEN bread soils the knife sufficiently to not only qualify for washing with actual SOAP, but in most cases will require a run through the dishwasher at super high sanitizing temperatures. Similarly, do pot lids have to be washed if they have only covered a pot of boiling water and their only sin is a water splattered inside? Absolutely YES. That is because the pot will always need to be washed, and there is certainly no sense in washing the pot and not the lid, too. So with my thoughts on this topic so clear cut, you may be wondering why I simply don't put EVERY item in the dishwasher - Well, sometimes I do. I frequently put the cans and jars destined for the recycling bin in the dishwasher RATHER THAN RINSE THEM OUT. Silverware I have removed from the drawer but wind up not using because I have grabbed the inappropriate item sometimes go in the dishwasher, rather than being replaced, unused and decidedly still clean, in the drawer. I will put what ever will fit into the dishwasher. This irritates other household members to no end, as there is frequently no glassware, no dishware or no eating utensils available for use in our house until the dishwasher stops. And let me tell you, it is no easy task to prepare a PBJ using a meat cleaver to spread the peanut butter.

No comments: