Instant Translator

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Im ok u r ok 2

Every time a friend of mine has a thought to share, she texts me. And she usually sends long, involved texts - discourses on an outfit she is thinking about buying; what she thinks our kids should do next summer; a new recipe for hush puppies. Stuff that really requires a face to face conversation or at least, a telephone call. But, for some reason, she has decided that talking on the phone is not for her anymore and so I am forced to try and communicate with her on her terms. But, I'm afraid that our friendship is suffering because of it. Part of the problem is my technology impairment - stuff like this requires that I learn a new skill set - namely learning to push the very small buttons on my cell phone the required number of times to enter the correct letter, symbol or number. I do NOT have one of the phones that has a little keyboard built in and so I rarely capitalize or punctuate any texts I send. The keypad on my phone has numbers and a pound key and a few others, but it is certainly not a mini typewriter by any stretch of the imagination. When faced with answering her texts, I am also forced to try and use the fewest possible letters and respond as QUICK as I can, because if I don't answer her right away, she sends another text which causes my phone to delete whatever I am in the middle of typing. And, on top of poorly composed responses I always misspell stuff, too. So this is how a usual text session goes...

(her text) Do you want to go 2 Target w/me?
(my text) i thinl...
(her text) I want to leave @ 11. Is that good?
(my text) i think thavwould bfun and...
(her text) Would you rather go to Savannah to the mall? I want to see if I can get a new espresso machine at that groovy kitchen store that just opened.
(my text) i thinktgat target would be bditter becausei have to b...
(her text) Ooohhh...I know - let's go to the mall and then scoot over to "Ulta" and get some of that peppermint soap we love so much!
(my text) yer that will bfin...
(her text) Well, I guess you can't go today. Too bad. Maybe another day - text me back when you get this. XOXO
(my text) ZES!!!

You see what I mean?

3 comments:

Teresa said...

LOL..poor Penny! Sit your friend down and have a face to face talk with her : )

Anonymous said...

hahahahah!!
My younger staff members (when I had a staff. when I had a job) used to text me and expect a quick answer and it was exactly like that.
YOu really know how to express it!

Penny said...

Teresa - Thanks for reading and for the good advice. Now I just have to set aside twenty minutes or so to compose the text so she'll come to the 'meet!

Anonymous - Thanks for reading and your nice words. Sorry you have no staff anymore (sigh) and that you're unemployed (sigh)...Keep the faith, friend - look at me - I've been unemployed for 13 years now and look at all I've accomplished. Wait, on second thought, DON'T use me as an example...Best of luck to you!