Instant Translator

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Dinner at Eight

OK, so more domestic chatter...
I am a good cook.  A VERY good cook.  I have to preface this post with that to save face a bit.  For a recent meal, I caved to popular opinion and purchased a meat thermometer to use on my planned dinner entree. I have to say that I never under cook, or worse, overcook food despite not ever using a meat thermometer, except for that time I got way too drunk on Thanksgiving and cooked the turkey for about three hours more than it needed...(Hello, Domino's?).  But, I decided to use one as I was feeding people who preferred their beef cooked a bit more than me and Man and Boy do, and it was a pretty big roast, so I wasn't exactly sure about the timing.  On the day of my dinner party, I did all the prep work and created an aromatic dry rub for the roast, let the beef sit and relax and warm a bit, and when the time came, put it on the grill.  I know you're thinking "Grilling a Roast Beef?  What, is she NUTS?" but I always cook on the grill; in this case, I treated it like the oven and used a roasting pan for the food.  Anyway, I had tentatively planned on needing to cook the roast @1 3/4 hours.  After it had cooked for one and a half hours, I stuck the thermometer in the roast and checked the internal temperature.  Hmmmm...The temperature was only just around 100 degrees.  That's pretty much raw, so I set a timer for another half hour and re-thought my strategy for appetizers.  I also brought the thermometer inside and tested it under hot water to make sure it worked.  It did.  So after another half hour, I stuck the thing in the beef again and the temperature registered about 110 degrees.  Still a little too rare for my guests, so I left the thermometer in the roast and planned on coming back in ten minutes or so.  Well, when I checked (using a flashlight because it was dark by this time) the temperature hadn't budged, so I let it to cook some more.  And some more.  And then some more.  Finally, I decided to take the damn thing off the heat and bring it inside because it was surely cooked enough by now despite what the thermometer indicated.  I brought the roast into the kitchen and was letting it rest and waiting for the temperature to climb a few notches when I realized that meat thermometer was broken...The glass covering the little dial had melted and 'frozen' the needle at 110 degrees...
Hello, Domino's?

No comments: