Instant Translator

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Shopping for Thrills

I've noticed that one of my symptoms of my mid-life crisis is my overwhelming desire to spend lots of time and money shopping for all sorts of stuff. I think I am using shopping as a substitute for such meaningful pursuits such as painting the hallway in my house, organizing the shed in the back yard, achieving inner peace through meditation, etc. (hey - can you blame me?). My shopping lust isn't limited to your garden variety department store buying, either. I have actively sought out the more unlikely buying opportunities, such as on-line shopping for soap. Now, while my smallish hometown does not offer a huge variety of, let's say, clothing choices, there certainly is no lack of cleaning products here. However, I am driven to seek out new and unusual types of soaps to fill the huge apothecary jar in the hallway bath. Somehow, having this jar filled with lushious imported hand milled soap gives me a feeling of satisfaction; that life is not only good, but downright great!

Fortunatly, I don't actually buy all the stuff I see. I am not that deep in the morass of mid-life crisisdom to make some of the more ridiculaous purchases I have seen, such as "The Canine Genealogy Kit", available from Hammacher Schlemmer for $59.95, plus shipping and handling. Even if I had a dog, I cannot imagine pursuing this as an interest...
Another item I have not purchased, despite my ongoing love affair with the sea is an "Underwater Pogo Stick". I am also passing on the "Adjustable Reading Valet", which is a gizmo that holds your book for you, even if you are lying down and allows "hands free reading positions". The description actually suggests that while utilizing the "Adjustable Reading Valet" I may elect to cook or perform hobbies (their words). Hmmm, can I fit it into the boat cockpit and read while I drive?

No comments: