Instant Translator

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Small and Dirty

In case you didn't know, I live in the pretty deep south. Well, two days ago, it snowed here for the first time since in awhile. The last time I remember it snowing was in 1989. Then, my truck ran off the road and flipped on the roof and came to rest, upside down in a drainage ditch on the side of the road. I am not really a big fan of snow. But, I am a big fan of creativity and fun, and all over my neighborhood, kids and adults alike played in what little snow there was. Some made snowballs, some used the snow like a 'slip-n-slide', and others had bigger dreams and made snowmen.

The next day, all over town, there were these odd shaped, small, dirty looking snow people...There simply wasn't enough snow to make sculptures out of all snow, without scraping up bits of grass and sticks and leaves and just plain dirt. In some cases, the creations had flattened sides and backs, to conserve the precious building material. And, while there were snowmen wearing sunglasses, and some with palm fronds for arms, and others who had seashell eyes, all shared the same brownish, mottled appearance...

No comments: