Instant Translator

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tax Day

My goal every year in January is to have all of our household tax stuff pulled together in some usable format by February 1. Well, today is tax day and all I have succeeded in pulling together is a panicked telephone call to the guy who does our taxes to confirm that our extension forms have been filed...I have rifled through the "INBOX" on my desk (which is really just a sorry excuse for a magazine rack, truth be told) looking for receipts and the like which might be useful. I gather up what I can find, scrape some unknown substance from the mortgage statement and attempt to organize all this paper and stuff in the "INBOX". Here is some of what I find: A chain of paper clips that is approximately 4 1/2 feet long (thanks, son). A switch plate that belongs on the wall in the Dining Room. Approximately 50 of my child's completed and graded homework assignments. A spiral notebook with absolutely NO paper in it. A guide to offshore fishing. A pair of 3D glasses. A broken plastic ruler. A greeting card congratulating a first time father (incidentally, I have no idea who the intended recipient of the card is/was - one of my friends became a Daddy for the first time about four years ago - maybe it was for him?). Nine magazines. A portfolio of counter top samples. And, I finally find a receipt, but it's for a pair of socks from Target, purchased in August of 2007. Hmmm, come to think of it, I don't know if the typical 6 month extension is going to be long enough...

No comments: